Can you help the best Engineers on the planet be their best selves at work?
Do you want to create an industry and write the future of software?
Do these values sound like your values: service, scrappiness, ownership, building meritocracies based on data-driven decision making?
Then read on…
Who we are:
Sema is creating the “CRM” of code. We assess the quality of code and the contributions of developers to code quality.
Software maintenance can eat up 50-60% of a company’s technology budget, exasperating end users, engineers, CTOs and CEOs alike. We are fixing this problem.
We’re serving the Fortune 500 and other great software companies. We’re backed by the best investors. And our clients dream about us.
Our team includes some of the best software and machine learning researchers and technologists on the planet.
We’re looking for an exceptional Director of Engineering to join our team.
About the opportunity:
You’ll be managing a multidisciplinary team including software developers and architects, product designers, other DS/ML/DL experts, and exceptional partners in industry and academia.
Please note: This position can begin remotely, with the opportunity to open our first location in San Francisco/Silicon Valley, or joining current locations in Baltimore, Southeast Michigan, Bulgaria, San Diego, Austin, Dublin Ireland or Halifax Canada.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the hands-on development of the company’s product
- Drive the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects, including task planning, code reviews, and software launch
- Be the technical leader for the company’s products utilize best practice engineering methods to provide expert technical guidance for engineering initiatives
- Ensure the quality of the company’s products meets the established standards
- Help grow the careers of our engineers
- Phenomenal people manager, coach and developer
- Excited about the challenge of building something transformational from the ground up
- Strong desire to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission – fully automating the world’s software maintenance
- Energized by driving innovative solutions and adapting quickly to new data
- Happiest in a high growth, start-up environment
We offer competitive compensation including stock options, and the rare opportunity to contribute significantly to the growth of a new company from the very beginning.
We will consider and adjust the level of responsibility and compensation for exceptional candidates with different levels of seniority and experience.
Screening criteria – not to be included in the job posting
Minimum Qualifications (Must have):
- BA/BS, or higher, in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science or related field, or equivalent intensive training and accompanying portfolio
- 10 years of experience in system-level software development, with 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience (managing teams of 8 or more developers).
- Experience recruiting, growing, managing and retaining software engineering teams in diverse, remote locations.
- Coding experience from inception through implementation in a production environment
- Experience with Cloud programming and architectures (AWS)
- Solid understanding of good programming practices, architecture, design patterns and unit & e2e testing
- Web-services, APIs and other backend code
- Relational and NoSQL databases
- Cloud development and deployment, preferably Amazon Web Services
- Object-oriented languages (such as Java, C#, C++, Python, etc.)
- Familiarity with legacy languages a plus
- Experience in all phases of software development life cycle, including
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI / CD)
- Automated Testing